Thursday, November 20, 2008

So I was out to day around other people I met and they where talking about what their kids wanted for Christmas. They asked their kids if they could have just one thing what would they want and they where asking for $300-$400 things. Ok did I mention I am talking about 11 year olds? My kids are getting one thing, but I was not about to share that with them. On the way home I could just cry. At first I thought about not being able to do that for my children, and then about Tom’s parents buying us a Christmas tree last year so we would have one. Then I thought about the last two years of the simple Christmas we have had and the thing we did to make it a special season. I thought about the service we did for others and the service that was done for us. I thought about the friendship and love felt during that time and the feeling that still linger. We are not completely in a different position then we where in last year and I plan to do the something, focusing on the love of our savor and sharing that with others. I hope this is a gift that will stay with my children for ever, and when they think of Christmas they will remember the feelings of love. I am also so grateful that my children are happy and that what ever kind of Christmas they have they will be grateful. Personal I think Christmas can be over done and the reason for the season can get stiffed with all the shopping, tape, raping paper, list of gifts, line, and credit card bills. I know I sound so cynical but having both kinds of Christmas and we have had some good ones, I think it is so important to balance both the holiday and the spirit of Christmas. It’s a bit early for this but, I wish you all a very Merry Holiday Season.

5 comments:

Kayla said...

You know what, you are making Christmas more memorable than most people do. I always loved Christmas and I remember some years only getting pajamas and slippers, and some years something bigger, but I loved each year because my parents made it special for us. I only remember the gifts because I have pictures of them, but the most special memories I have are of the traditions like walking the temple grounds every Christmas eve with my Non-member grandparents, going to our neighbors performance every year, having an awesome dinner at my other grandparents house, waking up super early with my brother in hopes we might catch santa, and making gifts for my siblings. Those are the things kids remember most when their older =)

Sarah said...

Absolutely! I remember the hyped up excitement of wating for Christmas and the presents and loving the "magic" of it. When that "magic" died becuase I discovered the truth about Father Christmas, it was never the same!
this time last year, Ana didn't know who Father Christmas was and only does so now because of school. I still hide the presents and keep them a surprise, but the build up is about the Saviour and this being the time we remember his birthday. We won't be having a lot of stuff, can't afford it and sometimes I am sad because I want to be able to give them the expensive gifts. Then I remember that there are better things to give them and your children seem to have those things in abundance.
xox

EmilyLemily said...

I enjoyed your post...I think it's great that you and Tom focus a lot on the Christ part of Christmas. I hope you have a good one out in Missouri! I'll miss you on my visits out to Arizona!

Belliston Family said...

Alice,
I am so proud of you! You are such an awsome person and mother and all those things that you are. Your kids are going to so greatful for all that that you do for them and all that you teach them everyday! If not now then some day, i think we have both learned that growing up!
Love Ya
Darcell

Jocey said...

AMEN!!!!

Music